Skip top navigation

Are you interested in accelerating your college studies? The School of Sport, Recreation, and Tourism Management (SRTM) at George Mason University offers several programs where students can earn both a bachelor’s and a master’s degree in as little as five years.

SRTM collaborates with undergraduate programs to offer Bachelor's/Accelerated master's programs to academically strong undergraduates (minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA) currently enrolled at George Mason University with an interest in pursuing a master's degree in an accelerated timeframe. Students may apply for the Bachelor's/Accelerated Master's program their second semester junior year (the semester in which they will have earned at least 90 semester hours) and once any prerequisites have been met.

Application Procedures:

  1. Visit the Accelerated Master's admissions webpage for a step-by-step guide to applying and access the online application.
  2. The recommendation field within the online application is your undergraduate academic advisor. This will serve as the official signature from your undergraduate academic advisor approving your eligibility into the program.
  3. Complete the application and submit. Once you submit your application, you can upload any supplementary materials such as recommendations, resume, goals statement and endorsement worksheets.

Once your application is complete, it will be available for the program faculty for admissions review. Applicants may be required to take part in an interview and complete a writing sample.

Bachelor's Accelerated Master's
Programs of Study

Bachelor’s Degree (any) to MS Sport and Recreation Studies, Concentration in Individualized Study in Sport, Recreation, and Tourism
Bachelor’s Degree (any) to MS Sport and Recreation Studies, Concentration in Recreation Management
Bachelor’s Degree (any) to MS Sport and Recreation Studies, Concentration in Sport and Leisure Studies
Bachelor’s Degree (any) to MS Sport and Recreation Studies, Concentration in Sport Management

Checking Your Application Status:

  • The processing time for the Bachelor's/Accelerated Master’s applications is three to five business days upon submission of the online application. Only completed files will be available to the program for admissions review.
  • Questions about your application should only be directed to Decisions will not be given over the phone by the program or by the CEHD Graduate Admissions office.

Notification and Registration:

  • If your Bachelor's/Accelerated Master’s application is approved, a notice of approval will be sent to you via the admissions web portal. You will be notified via e-mail when a decision has been rendered. The name of your graduate advisor will be provided in this correspondence.
  • Approved Bachelor's/Accelerated Master’s participants will be allowed to register for graduate courses via PatriotWeb once at least 90 hours of undergraduate degree credits have been earned. Those who were previously listed under Junior or Senior status in Patriot Web, will now be listed as ‘Senior Plus.’
  • Please note that approval of specific courses on the application does not guarantee a specific course section will be open or offered at the time of registration.
  • Approval for the Bachelor's/Accelerated Master’s program only guarantees admission to a degree program at a later date IF the student maintains the required GPA and follows all of the Transition to Graduate Status admission instructions listed below.

Transition to Graduate Status:

  • File your intent to graduate in your second to final semester of your undergraduate degree
  • At the beginning of your final undergraduate semester, meet with your undergraduate and graduate advisors to have your Bachelor's/Accelerated Master's (BAM) Transition Form signed and approved. This form can be found online at:
  • The approved BAM Transition Form must be submitted to the Graduate Admissions Office (OGA) and will then be forwarded by CEHD to the Registrar’s Office. Once the BAM Transition Form has been processed by OGA and the Registrar, you will receive an official admission letter to the graduate program via the admissions web portal. You will be required to confirm enrollment in the graduate program. If this form is not received by Graduate Admissions, you will not be eligible to be formally admitted to your graduate program.
  • If you would like to qualify for in-state tuition for your graduate program, you must also submit a new domicile form ( with your BAM Transition Form to Graduate Admissions.
  • During your first semester as a graduate student applicable credits will be designated “Advanced Standing.”

Note: All graduate courses students take are subject to the same rules and regulations as indicated in the University Catalog.