Tourism and Events Management
The mission of the Tourism and Events Management (TEM) degree program is to advance interdisciplinary studies of tourism, events, and hospitality management through innovative instructional modes that promote ethical leadership, prepare career-ready graduates, and foster collaborative relationships.
World-class faculty and dedicated students from diverse backgrounds engage in learning, service, and research activities to build a firm foundation leading to successful careers in a variety of settings.
Our program in Northern Virginia and the capital region affords ideal opportunities for unique fieldwork experiences, career networking, and outstanding guest instruction. Students pursuing the BS in Tourism and Events Management can specialize in one of three concentrations:
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the degree and one of our three concentrations (Tourism, Events, and Hospitality Management), students will be able to:
- Synthesize knowledge of the theoretical, historical, sustainable, and philosophical bases of culturally and socially diverse environments in tourism, events, and hospitality management at local, regional, national, and international levels.
- Apply critical thinking, analytical, and problem-solving skills as related to issues in tourism, events, and hospitality management.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate ideas and concepts effectively at a professional level.
- Evaluate and apply legal, ethical, and social justice principles in business practices to manage diverse issues in tourism, events, and hospitality sectors.
- Perform and manage duties effectively by applying program core competencies to meet the needs of employers in tourism, events, and hospitality management agencies as illustrated through the successful completion of on-site field experiences.