- Degree Options
- Tourism Management - BS Concentration
- Tourism and Events Management - Undergraduate Minor
- Events Management - BS Concentration
- Food and Beverage Management Undergraduate Certificate
- Event Technical Production - Undergraduate Minor
- Hospitality Management - BS Concentration
- Hospitality Management Minor
- Practicum and Internship Experiences
- Careers in Tourism and Events Management
- Current Student Information
- Contact Us
Events Management is a multi-billion dollar industry, growing rapidly, with conferences, meetings, trade shows and social events hosted regularly all over the world. Given the tens of millions of events that take place world wide annually, it’s no wonder that an Events Management degree emphasis is perfect for one of the fastest growing careers today.
The Events Management degree concentration is a staged combination of general education, professional preparation courses and opportunities for advanced studies that accommodate the students’ individual interests.
To earn a Bachelor of Science in Tourism and Events Management with a concentration in Events Management, students must complete all Mason Core requirements (37 credits) and the TEM Core Courses listed below (71 credits).
- Written communication (6)
- Oral communication (3)
- Information technology (3)
- Quantitative reasoning (3) (Must take STAT 250)
- Literature (3)
- Arts (3)
- Western civilization/World History (3)
- Social and behavioral science (3) (TOUR 311 recommended)*
- Global understanding (3) (TOUR 210 recommended)*
- Natural science (7)
- Synthesis/Capstone (met by completion of TOUR 490 a program requirement)
Professional Sequence (50 credits)
- PRLS 410: Administration of SRT Organizations I (3 credits)
- SRST 450: Research Methods (3 credits) (Satisfies the university Writing Intensive requirement)
- PRLS 460: Sport and Recreation Law (3 credits)
- TOUR 110: Professionalism and Civility (1 credit)
- TOUR 200: Introduction to Tourism Management (3 credits)
- TOUR 220: Introduction to Event Management (3 credits)
- TOUR 230: Introduction to Hospitality Management (3 credits)
- TOUR 340: Sustainable Tourism (3 credits)
- TOUR 470: Career Preparation (1 credit)
Required Event Management Concentration Courses (15 credits)
- TOUR 190: Wedding Planning (3 credits)
- TOUR 221: Event Implementation and Evaluation (3 credits)
- TOUR 310: Food and Beverage Management (3 credits)
- TOUR 313: Event Technical Production (3 credits)
- TOUR 440: Meetings and Conventions (3 credits)
Event Management Concentration Electives (9 credits)
Select nine credits from any TOUR courses.
Electives (9 credits)
Choose an additional 9 credits from the university catalog.
Total: 120 credits
*TOUR 210 and TOUR 311 may not be used to satisfy both degree and Mason Core requirements.
TOUR 499 must be approved by department.